What's on tonight?

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Turkey Tacos and Mexican Rice

I'm an Italian junkie. For eons I have made something with pasta, olive oil and more garlic than anybody should have in any given meal... but I soooo love it! After having the realization that if I continue to eat pounds of pasta I will inevitably have to hate Italian food for all its negative impact, I have decided to make a change. So now I am trying something else. Cooking a meal without pasta! (I do realize that rice is the pasta of other nations but eating less portions is better than the mounds of pasta I love!)


"Turkey Tacos"

Sometimes you need a quick meal. We picked up an El Paso Dinner Kit from Wegman's and whipped it up in about twenty minutes. Instead of the traditional ground beef, I decided that tossing in ground turkey would be a far less greasy option. To my delight, I was absolutely correct! The fresher taste made the tacos lighter and accompanied by fresh vine tomatoes, spring mix lettuce and a light dollop of sour cream, this was a fresh way to dine!

"Mexican (Inspired) Rice"

With an intense aversion to going to the grocery store again last night we decided to make Mexican Rice out of ingredients we had. Using, probably my favorite recipe website RecipeZaar.com we were able to link together enough pieces of recipes to make a tasty dish. Sauteing the onions in a little vegetable oil we browned them and tossed the rest of the ingredients and boiled for 20 minutes. Fresh red pepper, tomatoes and onions made this a healthy dish that just keeps giving. A dash of cayenne pepper and it's heated up! We have plenty for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment