What's on tonight?

Monday, April 19, 2010

An oldie but goodie...


Branching out is something I have been trying to do since getting on the cooking train. One of the very first experiences was making Pork Chops with Apples and Taleggio Cheese along some fantastic Wild Mushroom Gnocchi. Both of these recipes (and most likely many many more) are from the fantastic Jamie Oliver.

"Old-School Pork Chops"

The pork chops were a trip. I can't seem to ever get the cut of meat that a recipe calls for. My pork chops are a bit thick but they do the trick. Make sure to cut them as shown in the photo. Cutting away from the bone in inch long sections opens it up and allows the meat to cook quicker. Macintosh apples are truly the best for this recipe and they cook nicely. Don't over-cook them into a squishy mess! I have used both the Stilton and Taleggio cheeses and I fell in LOVE with the Taleggio. It is a great cheese for making this dish melt in your mouth.

"Wild Mushroom Gnocchi"


I have managed to make this extremely tasty dish a staple in my repertoire. It is easy to toss together and with great grocery stores like Wegman's you can grab the Gourmet mushroom mix, tear it up and cook it up! Soon, I hope to take on the challenge of making my own gnocchi, but we'll see when I can get the time for that!

All in all this dinner takes me 90 minutes. I am finding a recurring problem that I always under-estimate time. Time is an asset in the evenings and after a long day of work I have two modes: Lazy-Leftover Lady and Sizzling-Saucepan Siren. This is why for time reasons I invest in leftovers! On a Siren night I make enough for dinner the next night or at least lunch the next day. Honestly, on your average week you don't want to cook every night so take advantage of the motivated nights and cook yourself a small feast. You'll appreciate it the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment